Schwab Charitable Fund, a leading national donor-advised fund, provides a tax-smart way to support charities today and build a lasting charitable legacy. Our donors consistently give us exceptionally high donor satisfaction scores.
Key advantages include:
- Separate end of year tax decisions from charitable giving decisions
- Submit and view grant recommendations online at any time-no reason to write checks, make copies or save individual receipts from multiple organizations for tax preparation
- Unlike most other planned giving vehicles, no additional filing requirements are required from the individual account.
- Receive immediate tax deduction for contributions to offset taxable income
- Avoid capital gains taxes on the contribution of appreciated assets held for more than one year1
- Remove contributed assets from your taxable estate
- As compared with private foundations, higher deductibility limits, more favorable treatment for real estate contributions and no excise taxes on investment income.
- Create a special name for the account (e.g., "The Roberts Family Fund", "The Jean Smith Fund for the Arts"), and have grants issued on customized letterhead at no additional cost
- Decide whether to recommend each grant anonymously or with acknowledgment.
- Unlike private foundations, personal information, charitable recipients, costs and investments are kept private and are not attributed to individual accounts in publicly available IRS returns
- Ease of online grant recommendations, when and where you want
Small grant minimums
- Unlike private foundations, no required minimum distribution requirement2
2. The minimum for opening a donor-advised account is $5,000 and the minimum for a grant is $50.